Monday, May 9, 2011

She's Thrifty!

We only have a few channels (have I mentioned this before?) and a ton of them are PBS stations (which have some GREAT programming - seriously!).  One of the shows is called "She's Crafty!" and is definitely set in Canada.  Anyways, the theme song is kind of rocker punk riff with a singer belting out, "She's Crafty!" at the end.  That's what's going through my head with the title.

Wow.  That was a long intro on just the title.  Back to me being thrifty.  I just have to tell you about my fabulous finds this weekend.  Happy Mother's Day to ME!  I love finding deals!

Friday morning a friend at work told me I HAD to stop by this rummage sale because the lady who walks her dog has a 4- or 5-year-old who is super cute and they are getting rid of tons of clothes.  Done and done.  There WERE super cute clothes, and they had evidently had the sale the weekend before also and were just ready to be done.  The guy told me the deal was I could load up a brown paper bag with clothes for $15.  Sweet.  I went through, but the biggest size was 3T (the smallest size I'm shopping for for M), and so I picked out some clothes (filling up a reusable bag I had), and the guy charged me $3!!  Yippee!  My model is even wearing two of the pieces from the sale:


 That evening I headed out to a Scholastic Books Warehouse sale.  I planned to take M but she was in a mood and not fit to take out of the house!  Luckily JJ is up for Hubby of the Year and let me go. by. myself.  It turned out to be a good thing because the sale was HUGE!!!  I walked at a fairly brisk pace and went down *most* aisles in an hour.  Each aisle had books for shelves high, and I generally missed the top and bottom shelves unless I was in an area I was interested in (preschool, cookbooks and Christian were biggies for me!).  Everything was 50% off unless otherwise marked (then up to 80% off).  Plus, I had a $10 off of a $50 purchase coupon.  Here's my loot (oh, and I spent $39.70-something --- almost exactly $50 before the coupon.  Woot, woot!).   So excited about the freezer pleaser cookbook, you have no idea!!  Puff the Magic Dragon also came with a CD.  Can anyone say road trip this summer?


Speaking of books, I visited my friends at school on Wednesday (with both kids AND brought/ate lunch!  Booya!).  My school is currently having a Book Fair, and everything was buy one get one free plus each teacher got one free book pick.  After being assured that my long term sub also got to choose a free book, M and I went to town.  I chose a new Llama Llama book (Llama Llama Misses Momma), she chose a Thomas the Tank Engine book and a princess book (what can I say?  She's a girly-girl tom boy!) all for the whopping grand total of $4.99.

Ok, and then Saturday a friend from work was having a garage sale and she has a BOY.  What she didn't say is that it was the whole TOWN's rummage sale.  Oh my stars!  I reined it in and went to the ones on her block, but I scored big.  It helps to shop at friends' sales!!  : )  Look at the CUTE stuff for the C-ster!
 
 On all of these clothes and shoes (oh, and I'm missing a book, game, and hat), I spent $30.  Now you may be thinking my kids don't need this many clothes, and you'd be right, but with deals like this, I couldn't go wrong!

4 comments:

Tara said...

Good Work! I am super impressed at all your deals. I am also very jealous of your book finds, why doesn't Bismarck have any "warehouse" sales...I am ALWAYS on the hunt for more books, Kendall and I just can't get enough. We will have to check out the Llama Llama series, they sound like goodies!

JJ and EJ said...

Tara - I would TOTALLY go back and shop for you!! It was so much fun! Have you seen the books on zulily today? : )

Tara said...

I did! I LOVE buying books on Zulily, the only bummer is the shipping. If I could only find a way to get around that. I have bought a few other things also, not too much, but every once in awhile there is something you can't resist. Have found anything you can't live without?

JJ and EJ said...

I agree with the shipping! I bought a few travel games -- we have a BIG trip planned for this summer and hopefully M can stay entertained for a while!