Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Baby #3 - the Birth Story! Part 2 - The REST of the story

At about 4:15 I was getting crazy contractions.  I had a lot of trouble breathing through them (huh... maybe I should've taken a baby class after all) and enlisted JJ for help.  We started timing them and they were anywhere from 5-7 minutes apart.  I struggled walking, breathing, talking.  Yup.  I finally realized what real labor felt like!  At this point, I think I started punching JJ, too.  He just seemed so lax about it.  I was like I'm over here struggling and he's like, well... so.... yeah... I think that was about 6 minutes.  Huh.  Ok... PUNCH.  PUNCH.  PUNCH.  At about 5:30 am we woke up my Mom and headed to the hospital.  I struggled breathing through several contractions on the way. JJ dropped me off at a door close to the elevator we needed and said to go sit in the little waiting area they had.  He parked the car and came as fast as he could, but in the meantime, I was hit by two very strong contractions.

I ended up doubled over a fire hydrant breathing one out.  A gentleman doing deliveries at the hospital came running over asking how he could help.  I was able to communicate that I was having a contraction and that my husband was just parking the car.  A gal who was with him ran and got me a wheelchair and got me to the little lobby.  She was NOT very happy that I was alone, but the guy with her said my husband was on his way from parking the car.  There was another guy waiting in the lobby and the delivery gal told him, "If anything happens, just get this lady up to the 4th floor!"  His eyes got about as huge as saucers!  It was kind of funny.  I assured him my husband would be there any second!  And then I did see JJ on his way.

Back up the the 4th floor we went and we saw the same nurse.  She took one look at me and admitted me.  Pronto.  I remember thinking, "See!  I really am in labor!  I wasn't lying!"  Another nurse and a nurse following her took over and got me all hooked up.  Baby's heartrate looked great.  Contractions were definitely coming.  They checked me and I was a 7.  Progress!!!!!  But, baby hadn't dropped quite yet, so I think I was a +2 (or -2... whichever one means baby is NOT there yet).  JJ continued to help me breathe and the head nurse with me helped too.  I have found that I NEED encouragement during those times.  Having her say, "You can do this.  Breathe in through your nose.  Out through your mouth.  You're doing it.  Good job!"  was VITAL to my successful delivery.  I remember asking her to do it, too!  "Would you please keep saying those things to me?!!" I yelled one time.

I said that I did INDEED want an epidural.  By the time the anesthesiologist was able to get all hooked up, I was at a 9, so probably I could've just sucked it up and gone without it, but I think it just made things so much more peaceful at the end.  I had two contractions while the Dr. put in my epidural and they were amazed at how stoic I was.  The nurse was like, "She was NOT kidding.  She WANTED that epidural!!"  :)  Yup.  So then it was pretty much just smooth sailing.  Phew.  A new shift came on at 7, so they rechecked me - and there again was a nurse and someone following the nurse.  They said they like people who are learning to try to judge dilation, effacement and what stage the baby is at when ladies have epidurals.  Learn away my friends.  I couldn't feel it!  :)  When baby had dropped (maybe about 8:15 am), they had me do a few practice pushes and same as with CEJ, they were like, "STOP!!  We need to call the doctor."  I told them I was feeling a little light headed so they took my blood pressure.  It was 88/48 (I generally have low blood pressure, but that was quite low even for me).  They ran a bag of saline through and in the meantime the doctor showed up.

We waited for a contraction to push, but then he said, "You know what?  The baby is RIGHT there.  Why don't you just push?"  I pushed and out came the baby at 8:40 am!!  JJ took a peek and said, "Baby has tons of hair!  What do you think??  Boy or girl?!"  The hair threw me off because MVJ had so much hair, but I still thought it was a boy.  Ta-da!  Baby BOY made his arrival and he really is a sweet mixture of M & C.  Out at 8:40 and nursing by 9 am.  Our first visitors at about 9:30 because JJ's parents were still in town, but ready to leave for home.  Good thing they waited another day!  :)  We were able to have so many visitors this time since we are close to family.  It was really fun and really special.  The kids did awesome meeting Mr. LWJ and have been excited, helpful, and on Cloud 9 since meeting him.  We are so blessed! 

1 comment:

Lyz said...

Oh my goodness! You left out a lot of these details when telling me about it! Ha! - I can just about see those folks helping you at the door. :)

Also - "would you please keep saying those things?!" You are polite even when demanding compliments. :) Love you, babe - and your mom too! :)