Thursday, April 29, 2010

Bringing back lots of memories...

We are had a pep rally at school yesterday.  Our school counselor is hilarious and they are always enjoyable.  The kids need a break from the norm.  We usually have great speakers (this time the Lamoureux twins -- think US Women's Olympic hockey players, who went to the middle school I teach at!).  They did awesome - had a great message, made kids want to listen, and stayed for some fun (shoot out competition, race around cones, and tug of war competition (kids won against teachers for the first time ever... I guess having Olympians on your side can help!).  There was also a scooter race (that I was a part of -- good thing we had an insider tip from a gym teacher and got a souped up scooter!) and jelly bean finding contest (they put three jelly beans at the bottom of a pie tin, filled it with whipped cream - no hands!). 

This time, though, we also had the addition of a teacher band!  I dusted off my poor clarinet, asked the band teacher for a new reed, and I was off!  It came back so naturally.  It was amazing.  Of course my mouth is WAY out of practice and my staccatos were less than impressive, but I remembered some scales, got almost all the way through the chromatic scale, and could play my school's song (which is really all that mattered anyways).  JJ was impressed I could carry a tune.  I was like, "Here, I'll play you some clarinet showstoppers!"  : )  I found a ton of old music (one book entitled: "Clarinet Showstoppers"... who knew?  I don't usually associate the clarinet with showstopping music, but I guess someone did!)

Since MVJ was sick, I wasn't able to attend the one practice we had before our big gig.  I was a little nervous, but went out there anyways.  We had a drummer, some trumpets, a recorder, a violin, a piccolo, and lots of flutes (there may have been more that I missed).  Thankfully the jazz band joined us for the second verse.  But honestly, we sounded pretty good if I do say so myself!  GO SMS!

Playing clarinet reminded me of my dear band teacher, Mr. S, who passed away recently from cancer.  He held us to HIGH standards, expected great things and got them.  His motto, "Early is on time and on time is late." is something I remember always!  (Even as I sit here in my bathrobe and will hopefully escape the latter part of that statement at work today!)  He is in tons of my high school memories: pep band (learning the d@%$ school song -- although it was When the Saints Go Marching In... so the vulgarity is probably a bit over the top!!), marching band (Aztecarada anyone??), concert band, ensembles, making it to state competitions, All State Band, banquets, band tour... and just the little things - the time spent before school to practice, hanging out in his office, crying because I left my clarinet at home and my Mom refused to get it first before dropping my brother off at school and as a freshman in the upperclass band I felt so embarrassed coming in late and, as I noted, Mr. S ran a tight ship.  Hmm... some memories just stick with you I guess!

1 comment:

Lanae Brown said...

I have fond memories of my high school band days as well. And our band director said the same thing. You did NOT want to be the one walking in late!