Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Week 3 thoughts

I have discovered some more "hidden" or I guess unplanned benefits of homeschooling.

1. We do not have to go anywhere if we do not want to. This is an amazing advantage living where the "air hurts my face". Especially with young kids!

2. My van does not have to be amazing anymore. I really really wanted a van with sliding doors. I always felt I was holding up the car line pulling up, jumping out, opening the door pushing L's legs up to allow M & C to squeeeeze past, pushing all the stuff that shifted forward back into the van, closing door, running around and hopping back into the driver's side! No more car line = sliding doors not so necessary.

3. M is such a good big sis. It has been such a joy to see relationships with her little brothers flourishing. Maybe not the biggest brother... but the other two for sure!  ;) 

4. I guess this one is less of a surprise but it REALLY is such a joy to partner with my kids in learning. I am learning fun new things and we can relate back to things all. day. long. Really fun!!  Plus. I mean like reiterating animal camouflage with a game of hide and go seek?!  SO FUN.  

5. Ummm, I kind of missed lesson planning.  There I said it. 

6. We have had more time for "real world" stuff that just went by the wayside. For example, I am so glad my kids have been learning about laundry, preparing food (meal planning to grocery shopping to making food to cleaning up!), knitting :D, shoveling, and just taking care of the house in general. :)

7. Actually using the stuff we have at home!! I feel like since we are here more I actually see what we have and we use them! M's preschool teacher told me once that she would've rocked living in the past -- she is resourceful and can make a plaything or invention or project out of anything - and this is so evident and fun to see! I am talking about school/office supplies but also just toys in general! Love to watch the kids playing together in new and different ways. Yesterday they set up a smoothie store.

8. Better use of time during the day. I always used to get annoyed with little breaks throughout the day - around 30 or even up to an hour here or there where it wasn't enough time to go home, and generally it seemed these were right after drop off to school so many times stores weren't open to run a quick errand. I'll be honest, we ended up at Target. A lot. And I drank a Starbucks drink. A lot. Being home and being intentional with my time (and wallet) has been a great bonus!

No comments: