Saturday, January 26, 2008

A few teaching stories

Alright, I just have to write these down before I forget! I student taught in a 1st grade classroom. Among other things, I learned that 1st graders provide unending moments of comic relief -- most of the time without realizing it! Here are three quick stories:



One of the girls in my class (K) said, "Mrs. J, you look pretty, even in that dress." After her mother, my supervising teacher and I cracked up a bit, she revised it to especially in that dress.



(B) was from the south and had a great little drawl. He was also in speech for some work on certain sounds. One of the sounds happened to be /k/, which came out like /t/. During show and tell one day, he shared, "My aunt has sixteen titties!" It took a minute to realize the aunt's cat just had babies. Oh dear!



(T) had a particular problem one day. He raised his hand and said, "Teacher, whenever I look at (J) my heart starts to beat faster." I asked, "What does that mean?", to which he replied, "It means I'm in love." Later that day he told me that he was "ready to tell her she was his girlfriend."

1 comment:

Lyz said...

Well, EJ, welcome! It is good to have you here on the bandwagon - make yourself comfortable!

Bring on the teaching stories! I may have to post my favorites, too...esp. the ones you've already heard about a dozen times.

Did you know that you and JJ can post separately? I saw that somewhere...:)